Thursday, March 6, 2008

Testing, testing

At last, my travel streak for work is over. After a whirlwind tour of Jonesboro and Branson, I am back home. I got back yesterday, just in time to take Abby to get her Kindergarten checkup and booster shots.

I was very nervous about taking her, because this was the first time she's had shots when she was old enough to know what was going on. She was NOT happy about it going in. I told her that it really didn't hurt as bad as she thought it would, and she might not even cry. Oh no, she assured me, she would DEFINITELY cry. Great. So we were both pretty surprised when she chilled right through all 4 shots. She didn't even flinch. I told her they were done and she said, cool as a cucumber, "You were right. That didn't hurt. Do I still get a milkshake though?" That's my girl!

The checkup part of the appointment ended up being a little more nervewracking than the shots. I was prepared for the physical exam, but I had no idea there was going to be a quiz! Both the doctor and the nurse asked Abby a battery of questions designed to confirm that she is developing and learning at a normal pace. I know that it's not meant to be scary or judgemental, but Matt and I both felt like our parenting success thus far was being evaluated. They wanted to know if she rides a bike (she does), if she sleeps through the night (she does), if she ever has nightmares (occasionally--oh no, does that mean she has issues?!), if she can count to 20 (well, of course), and if she knows her address. What?! Her address? How were we supposed to know that she was supposed to know her address? They should have sent out a study guide in advance of the appointment. She knows her phone number, but she gave the doctor a blank stare at the address question. He said it was fine, but I could just imagine the notes he took: If patient ever gets lost, blame parents for not teaching her their address.

I guess she passed enough of the questions for them to let us go without referring us to DHS. Anyone who knows Matt will not be surprised to learn that by the time our family sat down to eat dinner at church that night, Abby knew her address :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! Michael has been teaching Isaac our address for about a year now -- I have no idea why Isaac should need to know it at 2 1/2, but oh well! Michael does it in a little chant/song and Isaac can say the end if we start with the beginning!

Isaac can count to 20 if you skipping 15-19 counts . . .

Erin