Thursday, March 1, 2007

Italy Part 5: Sunday



Writer's note: This is one of a series of posts about my fabulous trip to Italy. Please scroll down or click on Archives to the right to make sure you read them in order.




The first half of Sunday was pretty quiet--we get ready, packed our things, and made one last trip into Asolo to shop and eat lunch.




Around 2, we packed into Molly's car, said good bye to her family, and made for the train station in Castelfranco. There we parted ways with Molly, who was the best hostess EVER. On the way to the train station, I frantically asked Molly some common phrases in Italian so I would be prepared for us to be out on our own in the big city of Venice.


I find it thriling to be in a strange place where people may or may not speak English and have to find my way. Kristen and I viewed it like we were on The Amazing Race. Can we get tickets for the right train, and get off at the right station, and find our hotel BEFORE DARK? It turns out we can, just fine, thank you very much! We got off the train at the edge of Venice, and walked out to this:

Rainy but stunning. We got on the vaporetto (which you must say with a roll of the tongue--vaporrrrreto), a fancy word for a water bus. We rode on the grand canal for about 15 minutes, then got off at our stop. Our hotel was literally right in front of us. We went in, dropped our stuff, and took off into Venizia. What an amazing city. I've never been to Disneyworld, but I imagine it feels like what I felt like in Venice--every corner brings something new and amazing, and your eyes never get tired of it. We walked around until the shops closed, and then headed in to get plenty of rest for our big day in the big city.

3 comments:

Gloria Brown said...

Trust me, Disneyworld has nothing on Italy! I can't wait to see more.

Outnumbered said...

I agree with Miss Brown, but you and Matt must go with us to Disney World next time. We have been twice with the kids, and we still look forward to going again! It is wonderful, and the kids' reactions are worth the price of admission!

Anonymous said...

I was going to make the same comment as Mr. Outnumbered. We should so go to Disney World together :)