Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Menace indeed

Well, happy new year! We had a very busy holiday week. I've said before, and I'll say it again, that full time moms have the hardest job ever. This last week confirmed that statement yet again. Don't get me wrong--I love spending time with my children. It can just be...challenging at times to manage them. Abby has become way too smart for her own good, and certainly too smart for mine. She is sassy and clever and prone to diva tendancies at times. This is nothing, though, compared to her menace of a little brother. We have in fact started calling him Dennis the Menace. My mom gave him the nickname mainly because of his blond hair, but it unfortunately has also come to describe his personality. If almost-two year olds had mottos, his would be: Make a mess and break things. In the 11 days we were home and traveling for the holidays, here are some highlights of his escapades. He:

- dumped the drawers of my mom's jewelry chest on the floor--twice
- smeared a PB and J on my brother's window blinds
- stuck his head in a toilet*
- turned on and off every computer, television, VCR, DVD player and radio he could find
- pulled Matt's uncle's personal files into his Pack and Play
- made at least one phone call
- very nearly drove off in my father's RV

* There are differing opinions on this, since no one was actually witness to it. I believe he dunked his head, bobbing-for-apples style. Matt thinks he stuck his hands in and then "washed" his hair. Either way, it was toilet water.

All of these things happened when he was out of our sight for less than 60 seconds. The child really has talent. Too bad our family morals are high--he could be a great thief or pickpocket. He's smart, sneaky, quiet and quick.

All in all, though, it was a wonderful holiday. I'm just glad they only come around once a year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you can't say that your holiday was uneventful! And what kind of Christmas blog is this without pictures??? :)

I've heard it said in regards to difficult times for parents, for boys it's when they're young (say 2-6 years old) and for girls it's their teen years...i guess we'll have to see if that's true, though i think the theory is correct. and btw, even before i heard this theory, i am terrified of being the mother of a teenage girl one day!

Melanie