Friday, May 23, 2008

Change is bad

It's just a little over 3 months until I leave my job, and I get a headache just thinking about all of the things I have to do between now and then. Cleaning out my office will take forever, and I have to fill out all kinds of paperwork, blah blah blah. The thing that has me really worked up, though, is that for the first time in my LIFE, I have to get a personal email address.

I have mentioned this to a few people, and they look at me like I just said I have to get a cell phone for the first time. I know it seems strange, but it makes sense when you think about it. Email wasn't widely used until I was in college, and the U of A gave me an address. Since I started working here before I stopped being a student, the address never deactivated. When I got married and moved to working for the business college, it changed a little, but that was 7 years ago. So for all this time, I have had the same address.

I have two concerns about switching. One is, how on EARTH am I going to communicate my new address to everyone? I know that I can send an email, but I'm bound to forget some people that I rarely talk to.

My bigger worry is what to pick for my new address. (Note: I have to be careful here since Matt has banned me from using our last name on the blog, so for the purpose of the rest of this post we're going to pretend my name is Nancy Fabulous.) My UA email address has been nfabulous@walton.uark.edu. Here are the decisions I have to make now:

1. Do I keep the first part of the address and still be nfabulous? Or is it better to be nancyfabulous? Or do I go more original and be amenmom? But then what if we have another child and I'm NOT amenmom any more? I don't think I can go through this process again. Or does that even matter? Is amenmom now enough of my identity that it doesn't refer only to my family's initials?

2. What server do I use? Matt has a hotmail account and likes it fine. I know other people use yahoo and google and peoplepc and all manner of others. I don't really care which it is, since I'll probably set it up in Outlook anyway, as long as I don't get a bunch of junk mail all the time.

Help me make a decision! Tell me what you think the first half should be (remember to use Fabulous if you want my last name to be in it), and let me know if you've had any good/bad experiences with any of the different servers. I figure that I had better get this address set up pretty soon so I can start the transition. It will be traumatic enough without having to hurry.

9 comments:

Gloria Brown said...

I think you should definitely use nancythefabulous@whatever.com. It speaks of you and only you, and let's you keep your identity. I personally like my g-mail account and use it more than any of the others I have, and trust me, I've got like six e-mails!

Sarah said...

Forget your real last name -- what's wrong with literally using "NancyFabulous@gmail.com"?? Surely no one's used that.

That's another thing you may not have considered -- you can't just have whatever email you want. You have to come up with something that no one in the universe already has... You might have to be "NancyFabulous47@gmail.com"...

Anonymous said...

My suggestion -- don't use gmail -- I hated it!

Erin

Anonymous said...

I like my cox.net email, and it's easy to use from anywhere!
I guess I still like amenmom@whereever.com! That says MORE than just your families initials! But, you may have to add #'s to it!
kori "0)

Brad said...

I loves my gmail. I had a personal account for awhile and then also moved all my business e-mail over to it.

Melanie said...

i don't like gmail that much. yahoo is good. try out a couple and email yourself and do a few things with it to try and see if you like it. i'm pretty sure you get a gmail acct with blogger don't you? but you might want to go with a lesser known one if you want more choice for your username. are you members of the alumni assoc? i know when i joined my regional alumni group it came with a razorback email address.

Poppa D said...

I think you should use gmail. Also, if you sign up for plaxo, it will update you to everyone on your email list. But I've told you this before. BTW, incredible video of Ethan!!!

Anonymous said...

We use Windstream DSL for our internet provider, and I do have my primary email address set up through them. The only problem I've had is that I could not access it overseas.

I have a gmail account as well, and have found it to be accessible anywhere. I don't have this one set up to feed into my Outlook, so it is a bit more labor intensive to check and sometimes I forget. :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say that I like amenmom the best, even though you ARE fabulous!