Saturday, February 7, 2009

A moment of weakness

For ages, friends have been ribbing me because I am not on Facebook. It's not that I don't like technology; I have a blog, right? I think it's just one of those things where I resisted for resistance's sake. Well, last night the kids were in bed and there was nothing on tv, so I was surfing the web. On impulse, I went to Facebook. My brain screamed not to do it, but my fingers had a mind of their own, and in moments I was on, finding friends and reading way-too-detailed descriptions of what people I know are doing every second. It's like opening Pandora's box.

It's crazy how Facebook knows who you know. Matt says it's suspicious, and he's probably right. But it's fun in an I-can't-stop-looking kind of way. I can already tell it's going to suck up large amounts of my time. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Can everyone who is my Friend see every conversation I have? That seems a little...transparent. And creepy. But it's not like I have anything terribly exciting to talk about.

If you are on Facebook and I didn't ask you to be my Friend yet, it's only because it's hard to think of every person you know on the planet at one time. Let me know, and I'll hook you up. You'll have the honor of being friends with the last person on the planet to join.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peer pressure is a strong force! I'm glad you made the leap to facebook. It is addicting and very time consuming, but great fun!

Patty

Anonymous said...

Ummm, I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before Omar joins . . . although he is very interested in what is going on in the facebook world. Everytime I get on he wants to know what everyone is saying.

Cameron Magee said...

welcome to the Cult!

You MUST add me! :D

Jenn said...

I like Facebook. You can adjust your settings to control who can see your wall posts. I also like that it lets me import my blog posts. That saves me time. It has been fun reconnecting with old friends, some from 30 years ago, and new friends. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Mwahahahaha! You're so in. There's really no getting out now.

You and Matt and your big brother craziness! Embrace the social networking! You could probably even find a way to advertise for yourself on FB - for free!

LindaM said...

I'm so proud that I was on facebook before YOU! But I'm very proud that you have joined the multitudes! My children were thrilled that I "finally came into the 21st century!" I'm still learning all the ins and outs myself, and when I can't figure something out, I do what all moms do when we can't figure something out pertaining to email, facebook, cell phones, computers, blogs, etc: email the daughter or son to give us the answer! What has our world come to??!!