Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seems logical to me

I've been trying to expand the kids' musical horizons by downloading some fun music to my iPod and playing it for them in the car. The results have been quite hysterical. They quickly develop very strong opinions about songs, and demand their favorites over and over. Right now, they can't get enough of "500 Miles" and, believe it or not, "Dancing Queen." Cracks me up every time to hear them hollering the words.

Ethan, of course, just sings along, having no clue what he's saying or what he means. Abby is old enough to listen and process, though, and she's logic-minded enough to not just accept things at face value. This is at once endearing and pulling-out-my-hair frustrating. An example:

In case you don't know it, the chorus to "500 Miles" is

I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be that man who walked a thousand miles
To fall down at your door.

I saw the narrowed eyes and thoughtful frown, and I knew what was coming.

Abby: Why does he want to walk? Why doesn't he just drive a car?
Me: Well, because he wants to show that he loves the girl so much that he'd do all that walking for her.
Abby: Does he trip?
Me: Huh?
Abby: Well, he says he falls down.
Me: Ah. No, he falls down because he's so tired from walking that far by the time he gets to her house.
Abby: Well, duh, he should have taken the car.

4 comments:

Angie said...

LOL!! -- too funny.

(I love both of these songs!)

Angie

Lindsey said...

I completely agree with Abby. He should have taken the car!

Melanie said...

That's hilarious! I love it! She's so smart :)

Sarah said...

Nothin' gets by that girl!