Monday, March 9, 2009

A whole new world

Today after I dropped Ethan off at Miss Debbie's, I headed to the mall to make a quick return. I was all about using my time efficiently, so I parked and zipped in. I was halfway to the store before I realized that all the security gates were down--the stores didn't open until 10. Perfect. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 25 minutes until 10. Somehow, my brain warped that into a normal amount of time to spend wandering around a mall that has nothing open. For 10 minutes I ambled. I finally gave up and went to Target, but not before making a few very interesting observations.

First, I was by no means alone, though I did seem to be the only person there who didn't realize the stores would be closed. Dozens and dozens of mall walkers were chugging along. Some in pairs, chatting away, some power walking solo. What surprised me was the variety of people. There were plenty of 50-something women with velour suits and fanny packs, but there were also young moms, senior citizens, and even a solo dude or two. Speaking of dudes, the most unexpected thing I encountered was a guy sitting on a bench in front of the Cookie Company. He was totally normal, except for the fact that he was playing the HECK out of a harmonica. Really? Was I at the NWA mall or a street corner in Philly? I thought it was so strange. Cool, but strange.

Well, I learned my lesson. Next time I have to go to the mall, don't bother until after 10. Or else bring some drums and get ready to jam.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I get such a kick out of your blog! I remember going to the mall one time in high school - we got there at 5:00 a.m. to stand in line for concert tickets. I was absolutely amazed at all the people power walking... I think I got lapped by a grandmother about ten times!