Friday, January 12, 2007

Archived: O Christmas Tree

Original Post Date: November 28, 2006
So we’re back from San Antonio. Obviously. We had a great time, but it was nice to get home to the kiddos. Thanksgiving was nice, and now I’m glad to be back in the routine of things for a while.
For the first time in a long time, we didn’t decorate the house for Christmas during Thanksgiving weekend. Several factors contributed to this change, including but not limited to the fact that we do not have a Christmas tree.
When we were first married, we bought a Christmas tree at Wal Mart for $60. It took approximately an hour and a half to put together, and afterwards I always looked like I got into a fight with a cat, it scratched my arms up so bad. After wrestling it into place last year, I was washing the blood from my arms and I told Matt that I wanted a new tree this year. He agreed, and that was that. This year, about a month ago, we were talking about the holidays and I reminded him that I wanted a new tree. He said he wasn’t ready to spend the money on a new tree, and suggested I ask for one for Christmas.
Really?
Yeah, I’m getting a new tree. I gave our old one away to his sister, so now we have no tree, and what kind of parents would we be if we didn’t put up a tree? I will hopefully have one in my possession within the week—one that is pre-lit and does not come in 4,000 separate pieces or require a tetanus shot after assembly. I’ll keep you posted.
The kids are doing well. Ethan is a daredevil extraordinaire—the child has no fear. Abby has always been fairly cautious, so I’m not used to having to leap to catch a baby that is diving, kamikaze style, off the bed at full speed, laughing heartily the entire way. I can feel the gray hairs popping out of my head. Abby now wants to be a cheerleader when she grows up. I told her that’s fine, as long as she makes enough money to support me and her father in the lifestyle to which we are accustomed. I’m sure that’s at the top of her list.

No comments: